Cardiac / Hypertension Exercise Program
Is it safe to exercise with High Blood Pressure?
The hypertensive client will benefit from a well-designed safe and effective fitness program. The program should closely monitor blood pressure and exercise intensity. Exercise intensity will be monitored using “Rate of Perceived Exertion” due to heart rate dampening caused by medications. Contrary to many opinions, weight training should be performed by the hypertensive client with close monitoring.
Weight training is allowed for blood pressure values less than 180/105. Resisted exercise should not be used with clients with congestive heart failure, unstable angina, uncontrolled arrhythmias or resting blood pressure greater than 180/105. Resting blood pressures greater than 160/100 should not be allowed to perform cardiovascular exercise unless the physician has authorized greater values. A greater than 20 mm Hg increase in exercise blood pressure warrants an immediate termination of exercise.
Exercise Training Program
Physical therapy and exercise form the foundation of treatment for Cardiac / Hypertension client. The progress made with physical therapy should be maintained via a structured and supervised Medical Exercise Coaching program which includes strength, balance, and flexibility training.
Our Cardiac / Hypertension exercise program focuses on managing the factors accelerating the destruction of the articular cartilage. We design exercises progressions that improve the strength, stability, and balance of the muscles surrounding your arthritic joints in order to remove joint stress and manage inflammation.
Our goals and objectives are to:
1. Increase and maintain functional strength, endurance and the ability to perform your activities
of daily living.
2. Monitor Blood Pressure and Oxygen Level
3. Increase and maintain Range of Motion (ROM)
4. Monitor your exercise intensity using "Rate of Perceived Exertion"
5. Develop home stretching and strengthening program
As Medical Exercise Specialists, we are trained to avoid any activities that will aggravate your condition. As we design your Cardiac / Hypertension program, we take the necessary precautions to:
1. Avoid high impact activities
2. Avoid stretching or moving into the extremes of ROM that will cause pain
3. Not exercise or make effective exercise modification to painful
4. Measure painful response two hours after exercise and the next day
Hypertension is an inflammatory condition where the heart is having to work harder than normal. This overworking of the heart can cause inflammation throughout the cardiovascular system that can be prolonged and aggravated by eating inflammatory foods and carrying excess body weight. Therefore, to manage this condition, improve the effectiveness of your medication, and heal from the inside out you need to do the following:
1. Identify, reduce and eventually eliminate any foods causing inflammation (PAIN), water retention (EDEMA), acid buildup, and blood sugar elevation (INSULIN RESISTANCE)
2. Assess if you have a nutrient-deficient lifestyle that aggravates your Blood Pressure, reduces your bodies ability to reduce pain and inflammation, and disrupts your focus, motivation, and desire for a positive change.
3. Create an easy to follow plan that can be easily incorporated into your current lifestyle
4. Develop a plan and schedule for eating throughout the day in order to meet your energy demands needs, control your blood sugar, and effectively reduce inflammation in your body.
My program provides coaching, planning, and accountability to help you with all of the above nutritional needs. We realize that in order for you to effectively heal your entire body, we must help you learn how to properly fuel your body for maximal benefits.